On PEP and Herpes

Dear Dr. I started PEP treatment 10 days ago and I found today that I had a HERPES outbreak (first in many months). I was taking Garlic and Zinc every day as preventive measure. I read that I should avoid taking Garlic with the PEP medications I am taking. What is your opinion? Thanks.

I don't know which medications you are using for PEP, but in general the concern regarding garlic involves protease inhibitors and possibly NNRTIs (nevirapine or efavirenz). Garlic in large enough doses could decrease the levels of these HIV medications in your blood, making them less effective. The dose of garlic that was shown to significantly lower blood levels of Fortovase (saquinavir) was four grams of raw garlic. That's also enough to keep all vampires out of Transylvania for a fortnight! In your particular case, I see no real reason to continue the garlic or zinc.

Good luck with your PEP!

do you only answer to people who u dont think have hiv?
stressful mom-surgeon: blood dust !