Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lonely, insecure people and HIV
Dec 31, 2005

Unfortunately, people around here don't talk about HIV/AIDS very much. It's kind of a low decibel topic. Recently a bisexual friend who was using heroin was diagnosed HIV+. This was right after I began a month of white knuckles based on very occasional petechiae, and an occasional twitch or odd feeling within my upper legs. Then my tongue seemed a little white-ish. Now slight burns leaving reddish scars are signs of a dying immune system. Now everything itches, hurts, or burns. Dr. Frascino, the manner in which you handle these desperate queries is extraordinary, you've won a place in my heart. I'm beginning to feel that many at risk and HIV+ people are also struggling with insecurity and loneliness. Wouldn't want to confront or offend you. Wouldn't want you to think less of me. Sure, I'll do whatever! You love me, right? It's so understandably human. My friend falls into that category - typically finding it hard to say no, let go, or take caution. I'm terrified that he'll forgo treatment and drive himself straight into the grave. I'm afraid he'll deny help to avoid inconveniencing others. In the careless, lonely, and insecure deparment, I'm a close second. I've had unprotected sex with four women with whom I was either in a long-term relationship, or trusted enough to believe they were negative. All of my other sexual encounters have been protected. Notice how I try and make it sound low-risk. At this point, I'm psychologically prepared to test positive. I'm prepared for celibacy and ostracism. On the other hand, for the next two weeks, I'm expecting a negative result, just for the sake of sanity, and my ability to sleep and function like a normal human being. What are your thoughts? I'm worried as hell. For myself. My friend. For everyone.

Greg

Response from Dr. Frascino

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Previous
Please for the love of God answer me
Next
Holiday Hell!!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.