Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Procrit three times per week?
Dec 26, 2005

My doc said if I use procrit I have to get a shot three times per week. I remember you saying it's not that often. What's up?

Thanks Dr. Bob Happy Holidays. I just sent in my donation for your Foundation's year end raffle Las Vegas trip!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your memory is correct! I'll post a question from the archives that addresses the three times per week versus once per week Procrit dosing schedule.

I'm delighted you have decided to join our year-end raffle for a chance at the Las Vegas trip! (Details can be found on the Foundation's website at www.concertedeffort.org).

Good Luck and Happiest of Holidays. Hope to see you soon in Vegas!

Dr. Bob

Anemia / Procrit Feb 5, 2002

Hey Doc,

You are one funny guy! You have no idea how much your warmly amusing but always compassionate comments mean to guys like me. If I were a woman, I'd want to have your baby! Hey maybe instead I'll just be your babe! So hot-doc what's better once a week or three times a week?? Inquiring minds want to know! I was so wiped out -- not able to think straight (gay?) ... well not able to think clearly, unable to workout at the gym, too fatigued even for sex -- just wasn't "up" to it! Yup, you guessed it. I was anemic. Procrit, as you predicted, perked me up. I've been using it 3 times per week and it's done wonders. I'm back to pumping iron, and regained my vim and vigor, not to mention my wit and charm. So what do you think -- which is better 3 times per week or once per week? Thanks Hottie,

Energizing Bunny

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Mr. Bunny,

Is 3-times a week better than once-per-week? Well, if you're talking about sex, yeah! But when it comes to Procrit, no. They are the same. In fact, once-a-week has the advantage, because it's much more convenient. The usual dose is 40,000 units once-per-week. The dose can be adjusted based on your response to therapy. Glad to hear your quality of life has improved with successful treatment of your anemia! Many folks never realize that not thinking clearly, and not being able to work out as hard at the gym might be signs of anemia. But they certainly are. So you're back at the gym, pumping lots of iron, which, of course, will make you, look better naked. And you've got your "wits" about you again. So, I would assume that 3-times a week sex can't be far behind. If you have the energy, but aren't "rising" to the occasion, remember to check your testosterone level. Low testosterone is quite common in us HIV-positive men. If low, supplementation is quite easy with the new topical gel formulation or a patch.

OK, let's review .... For Procrit - once a week is more convienent and equally effective as the old 3 times a week dosing schedule. For sex - 3 times a week beats once a week no matter what. Got it?

Stay energized Bunny!

Dr Bob

Previous
is procrit like anadrol?
Next
scared

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.