Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do I need to repeat my WB?
Dec 9, 2005

Hi Dr. Bob! I checked the archives and could not find an answer to this question. I hope that I didn't just miss it. I am an RN who had a needlestick injury at work in May. The hospital drew baseline labs. A week later they called to tell me that I was HIV positive. My ELISA had been positive and when they sent it out to confirm by Western Blot, the WB showed one strain +, two strains ++, and one strain indeterminate. This would mean, of course, that I was already positive prior to the needle stick. Of course I freaked. I have been in what I assume is a monogamous relationship for 14 years. I went to see my PCP, who drew an ELISA and did a CBC. The ELISA was negative. The CBC showed a normal white count, a low red count, and a normal H+H. I had been feeling extremely fatigued for about a year. The doc chose not to treat the low red count since my H&H was fine. The doc then drew another ELISA a month later. This was also negative. He did a third ELISA last month just to be sure. That too was negative. However, my doc refuses to do a WB, stating that those are only done with positive ELISA's. Since I've had 3 negative ELISA's, he says that he's not worried. In my case, with a previous positive WB, should I insist on a WB, or will a total of 3 positive ELISA's be conclusive? To add to this story, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in August. I am assuming that this could explain my prior fatigue and the low RBC's. What do you think? Should I insist on another WB? Thanks in advance for your help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello RN,

I agree with your physician:

1. Western Blots should only be run as confirmatory tests following a positive ELISA.

2. Three negative ELISAs out to six months is definitive. HIV is not your problem.

I see absolutely no reason for further HIV testing. And I certainly would not insist on another Western Blot. Your initial test was unquestionably a "false positive."

Good luck with your ovarian cancer problem.

Dr. Bob

Previous
WOOOOOO FREAKIN HOOO
Next
Comment on Long Term Surviving

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.