Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

anemia
Nov 28, 2005

Sorry to bother you again doctor Bob, but i have just read article about anemia and i am sure i have anemia, because all symptomes i have that are listed there and it was written in the article that anemia with HIV infected emans thst HIV progresses. Is that TRUE??? thank you very much again

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

First off, are you HIV positive? Second, are you anemic? Remember symptoms can be an indication of an underlying illness or problem, but symptoms are not a diagnosis of those diseases! You need an HIV test to determine if you are HIV positive. Similarly you'll need a hemoglobin test to determine if you are anemic. Women with less than 12 g/dL of hemoglobin (less than 14 g/dL for men) are anemic. There are many potential causes of anemia, ranging from nutritional deficiencies to HIV drugs, such as AZT. Your first step is to find out if indeed you are anemic. Your doctor can run this simple blood test for you. Alternatively you might qualify for a free at-home anemia screening test to check your hemoglobin. Call 1-888-506-9696 or go to www.anemiapro.com to see if you qualify for a free Anemia Pro Self-Screening Kit.

Regarding your question concerning the impact of anemia in HIV-infected patients, there is a growing body of evidence suggesting that anemia is associated with increased mortality risk and disease progression in patients with AIDS. The take-home message here is that anemia is a chronic problem for many of us who are HIV infected. Diagnosing and effectively treating anemia is associated with enhanced quality of life and improved survival.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank you from an ex-ww!
Next
HIV and the brain

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.