Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

mom trying to hold on
Nov 28, 2005

I am the mom of a gay son. I love him no matter what. We have discussed safe sex, etc. I can only pray that he stays safe. When he comes home from college he puts his toothbrush in the toothbrush holder with everyone elses. I do not want him to feel like a leopard so I haven't said anything to him. I have discussed with him and all other family members to use own toothbrush and razors. Do you think it is ok for his toothbrush to be with the others? If this sounds dumb, please forgive me. This has been the hardest thing in my life and I am trying to just hold on. Thank you for answereing this question. It means a lot to me.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Having a gay son in college has been "the hardest thing in your life and you're just trying to hold on????" Hmmm . . . yep, that sounds dumb. If you "love him no matter what," what's all this drama about? There is nothing wrong with being gay or having a gay son. Frevinsake! As for putting his toothbrush next to the others in the holder, are you worried his toothbrush might turn the other toothbrushes gay??? Don't worry, Mom, it's not contagious.

Listen up, Mom. A gay son who practices safe sex may well be at less risk for HIV than a straight high school daughter who is not using proper protection. Would you segregate a potentially sexually-active straight daughter's toothbrush? Put away the "hazmat" labels, Mom. Your son is gay, not diseased. If you don't want him to feel like a "leopard" (or leper, for that matter), then stop treating him like one. I'd suggest you consider getting some counseling, as you are either harboring unrealistic fears about HIV transmission or not coping well with your son's sexual orientation. Either way, you could use some professional help.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Decreased semen volume/teste size.
Next
Thank you from an ex-ww!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.