The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Decreased semen volume/teste size.
Nov 28, 2005

45yo Hiv + tcell count 930, viral load 85 - seroconverted in 1984. Have been on Kaletra(liponovir)and tenofovir for nearly three years. I have experienced a significant reduction in semen volume and testicle size in the last eighteen months.My testosterone levels were in the normal range (17) The semen is often watery and of a small amount and the testicles have shrunk and don't appear to increase in size even after a weeks abstinence. This problem is getting me down. Please do you have any suggestions?Thanks John

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi John,

Weeks of abstinence might give you "blue balls," but it won't plump up your cojones! There are a variety of reasons that your "home entertainment center" may be downsizing and becoming less productive. I cannot evaluate the cause of your problem based on the limited information available in your post; however, your HIV specialist should be able to sort this out for you. You mention your testosterone level was normal, but you didn't mention if this was a "free testosterone" or "total testosterone." (The "free" is the important one to monitor.) You also will be evaluated for other signs and symptoms that might be associated with hypogonadism. Don't worry, John, chances are good that with proper evaluation and treatment, your kibble and bits may return to their former glory.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

I used a sandwich bag as a condom.
mom trying to hold on

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint