RE Waiting until CD4 count was 49 to start meds

Writing in response to the posting from Nov. 12 regarding CD4 count at 49 to start meds. A few years ago I was undergoing tests for low white blood cell levels. Finally the hemotologist suggested HIV test to rule it out. As you probably have assumed by now, I was HIV positive. I began seeing a doctor specializing in HIV treatment. I immediately began antibiotics for prevention of OIs and my first labs were CD4 count of 9 and viral load of 200,000. The doctor didn't immediately begin HAART until he was able to test for resistances and other conditions. A couple of months later started Viramune and Trizivir twice daily. After one month, tests showed viral load undetectable at less than 50 copies and CD4 count of 47. CD4 has continued to rise and have continued to be undetectable. This may give encouragement to someone. Thanks.

Thank you for sharing your story and words of encouragement. With proper treatment and a positive attitude about being "positive," I've seen many phenomenal recoveries bordering on the miraculous. Let's all be here for the cure, O.K.?

Negative yet Positive
I used a sandwich bag as a condom.