A Minor in a Dilemma in need of enlightenment!!

First of all: Dr. F, I think you are so cute! I enjoy your light jokes about our stupid president, especially :)

I'm a 17 year old gay male who performed [and received] oral sex with another male. He did not ejaculate into my mouth, I had no other STD, and I'm pretty sure I had no open sores in my mouth. This male is known to be rather promiscuous [but I didn't know this minor fact until after we had our little rendez-vous!]. I realize that the risk is significantly low to acquire HIV through any type of oral sex, however, the risk is apparently real. Is it even worth me being tested? If so, how am I supposed to be tested if I'm under 18? Where do I go? I most certainly can not inform my parents of all this [I'm sure you understand, you were a teenager once!] I worry about the possibility of me with HIV and it makes me depressed [since I'm so young].

I'd appreciate it if you helped me on this one, Doc, and to assist any other minors in this subject. Thanks a bunch!

~The Worried/Confused/Numb Youngin

Hello Youngin,

Yes, I understand, and yes, I was a teenager once, and yes, our president is stupid. (As I have said before, if he were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice a week.)

Regarding oral sex, you are correct: the HIV-transmission risk is quite low, although we can't say completely nonexistent. (There can always be extenuating circumstances.)

Regarding HIV testing, ultimately the Food and Drug Administration will get around to approving a quick over-the-counter HIV test for home use. But until then, your next-best option would be to go to an anonymous testing site. Unfortunately not all states have anonymous testing sites and I do not know from which State you are writing. I'd suggest you Google AIDS service organizations in your city, and then give one of them a call. They will advise you if anonymous testing sites are available close to you and where they are located. If this is not an option, ask the AIDS service organizations what other confidential testing options might be available to you.

I think your chances of being HIV positive are minimal, but becoming knowledgeable about HIV services in your area is worth the effort.

Good luck! Stay safe. Stay well.

Dear Dr. Bob
Comment on "The Dirty Truth on Lifespan"