HIV, Nutrition, Exercize & Vitimans 101

Whats up Doc?

Three years ago, at the age of twenty-two, I was diagnosed with HIV. I just started taking Truvada and Sustivia a little over three weeks ago. This is my first drug regimen and my side-effects have been nonexistent. However, the past couple of days Ive been extremely wiped out and all I want to do is sleep. I can probably attribute my low energy to the weather and work/school related stress.

I want to start implementing healthier habits into my lifestyle. First and foremost, I need to quit smoking. I plan on doing that next week during the Great American Smokeout sponsored my the American Lung Association. Im already doped up on Zyban and Ive prepared for my quit date.

I want to begin exercising and taking vitamins, maybe even take a tai chi class. Im in good shape as it is, and an exercise program couldnt hurt. However, Im completely lost. I have no idea what vitamins I should invest my money into. I know youll probably advise me to talk with my doctor or see a nutritionist who specializes in HIV, however, all I want is basic information.

Do you know of a GOOD website and/or book that can provide me with the basics of nutrition and exercise? Every time I do a web search on the topic, I get a thousand websites trying to sell me something. I even did a search on leading Universities, being the dumb ass that I am, their information is too medically technical for me to understand. And even though I love the bodys website, Im not finding a single source of information on nutrition, vitamins and exercise that can be applied to a beginner such as myself. Please advise.

Thank you for your time.

Take Care,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Check the information on this site once again. I think you'll find what you are looking for. In particular, try the "Just Diagnosed" Quick Link on The Body's homepage. It will lead you to another menu of topics, including "Lean about Diet and Nutrition." For exercise, just type the word "exercise" in the "Search TheBody.com" window for the "entire site," and hit go. You'll find a wide array of basic articles pertaining to exercise and HIV.

Finally, I should mention I agree your most important lifestyle change to improve your health at this moment is quitting smoking!

Good luck. Stay well.

Pneumonia n flue shots
Dear Dr. Bob