Hemaglobin

My Aunt has lung cancer and receiving Treatment her hemaglobin is very low at 9.7 what can we do to bost this number up. Also what are the systoms at this low number she is having a hard time breathing and very tired.

Thanks Mike

Thank Mike

Hey Mike,

This site is dedicated to folks who are HIV positive. However, much of the information about HIV-associated anemia can also be applied to chemotherapy-induced anemia in those being treated for cancer. For instance, the symptoms of anemia, despite the cause, can include fatigue, shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat, headaches, exercise intolerance, inability to concentrate, paleness and decreased sex drive. (Certainly lung cancer in and of itself can cause respiratory problems unrelated to anemia.)

Treatment can also be similar; particularly the use of Procrit, a medication that stimulates the production of additional new red blood cells. You can read about this and other treatments for anemia in the archives of this forum. My brother is also struggling with the challenges of lung cancer. I wish your aunt peace and comfort.

Many thanks to you Bob
Procrit and travel