Fatigue/Frustration/Depression

Hi Dr. Bob:

Thank you for your compassionate wisdom, inspiring/uplifting words on the forum.

My question is open ended without regard to Meds, CD4/VL counts, HIV-related opportunistic infections; are there a few critical points you could share with us to fast forward coming out of a downward spiral?

I've been HIV infected since 87; have CMV, tooth decay, nail fungus, go through ups & downs, never been hospitalized, eat home-cooked mainly healthy, take the meds, see my wonderful doctors...

Could you share any personal insights as to what you have observed that in particular have an outstanding track record of success?

I do not mean the obvious good exercise, diet, stress reduction, etc. I am looking for a few ideas as a compass to better steer my recovery.

Warm wishes from a fellow classical pianist.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Having a positive attitude about being positive is not always an easy thing to do. Personally, I find helping others who are in need is a great way for me to count my blessings and keep my personal challenges in their proper perspective. And since you are a classical pianist as well, I'll add that I find time at the keyboard invaluable. Nietzsche once wrote, "Without music life would be a mistake."

Finally, I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes from George Bernard Shaw: "This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. The being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy . . . . Life is no brief candle for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." George Bernard Shaw Jeff, how about playing the Rachmaninoff Suites for two pianos with me someday?

Waiting until CD4 count was 49 to start meds
It's sad I even have to send you a question like this.... But please respond.