Worried/Anxious RN

I am a RN and recently got a needlestick from our BD vacutainer urine collection cup. I was attempting to collect urine from the cup, into the collection tube, but could not get any urine transferred. I then observed that the needle in the urine cup container was bent and I accidentally got stuck. I am thinking the needle was clean because I did not successfully transfer urine into the tubes, but I am still having anixety about the situation. There was no blood in the urine, so I am thinking even if I did come in contact with urine that my risk of catching hep b, hep c or hiv would be low since no blood was involved, pls ease my anxiety!! I spoke to my charge RN who also felt I had no cause for concern. Thank you

I recommend an incident report be filled out for all occupational exposures. That way not only is the incident on file and documented, but you would then also receive the appropriate evaluation of your risk and, if necessary, testing, treatment and follow-up. That said, I can also assure you that urine is a sterile fluid. Consequently, assuming there was no contamination, I would agree your specific risk of infection by bloodborne pathogens would be nonexistent.

Hope that helps!

Stay well.

organ donation
Superanuation