Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried/Anxious RN
Nov 12, 2005

I am a RN and recently got a needlestick from our BD vacutainer urine collection cup. I was attempting to collect urine from the cup, into the collection tube, but could not get any urine transferred. I then observed that the needle in the urine cup container was bent and I accidentally got stuck. I am thinking the needle was clean because I did not successfully transfer urine into the tubes, but I am still having anixety about the situation. There was no blood in the urine, so I am thinking even if I did come in contact with urine that my risk of catching hep b, hep c or hiv would be low since no blood was involved, pls ease my anxiety!! I spoke to my charge RN who also felt I had no cause for concern. Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I recommend an incident report be filled out for all occupational exposures. That way not only is the incident on file and documented, but you would then also receive the appropriate evaluation of your risk and, if necessary, testing, treatment and follow-up. That said, I can also assure you that urine is a sterile fluid. Consequently, assuming there was no contamination, I would agree your specific risk of infection by bloodborne pathogens would be nonexistent.

Hope that helps!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
organ donation
Next
Superanuation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.