Waiting until CD4 count was 49 to start meds

Hey Doc.

I just read your response to a reader who had a diagnosis of AIDS and a CD4 count of 52. Just want to share my story to make him and all others to know it is possible to live a productive life. I found out in 1983 that I was positive, however, everyone around me were dropping and the only thing available was AZT. I finally went to the MD after 30lb weight loss in 1997 with a CD4 count of 49. My count has remained around 350-550 and in those years I have raised a son, got my BS in Pharmacy and been a productive person. I have changed meds a few times but due to side effects not resistance. Just stay on top of it. I plan on growing old myself.

BRAVO!

Thank you for writing in. Stories like yours are truly an inspiration for those who only recently found out they were both "virally enhanced" and "T-cell depleted!"

Stay well, my friend. See ya at the old folks' home . . . .

Inquiring Handsome Guy
Fatigue/Frustration/Depression