Does being a homosexual increase one's risks of contracting AIDS?

I asked such a similar question before, but I do not know if it was ever answered, so I'm asking again, forgive me. I'm doing a project on AIDS for my high school anatomy class, and I've been getting mixed messages about the relations of homosexuality and AIDS. Some people tell me that being gay highly increases your likelihood of contracting AIDS and spreading it. Others say things opposing that. I personally do not think that just because somebody's homosexual means that they're automatically a cesspool for the AIDS virus- I think that's a bigotted stereotype made up by homophobes in the effort the find a scapegoat for AIDS. But that is only what I THINK- I need FACTS to support that, you know? Especially in the area where I live, it is necessary that I have such facts to pursuade my class that the entire gay/AIDS thing is an unfair stereotype. Can you help me out?

-Teenaged gay freedom activist in Kansas

There is a common myth that HIV/AIDS is a gay disease. However, the reality is that anyone, gay or straight, black or white, male or female, intelligent or Republican, can acquire HIV/AIDS. The AIDS virus is transmitted through unsafe sex, sharing infected needles and/or blood-to-blood contact. Worldwide, HIV is spread most often through heterosexual sexual contact. Check out these and other HIV/AIDS facts on this Web site and related links. I'd also suggest you review the HIV/AIDS information on the UNAIDS (United Nations), CDC (Centers for Disease Control) and WHO (World Health Organization) Web sites. The "facts" are indeed incontestable.

I applaud your efforts to enlighten your classmates. Hopefully their understanding will evolve when confronted with facts. Then again, I see that you are from Kansas and consequently "evolve" may be the wrong word to use. Everyone knows there is no "evolution" in Kansas.

Good luck nonetheless.

Hope your brother gets well soon!
Update on Treatment