Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does being a homosexual increase one's risks of contracting AIDS?
Oct 25, 2005

I asked such a similar question before, but I do not know if it was ever answered, so I'm asking again, forgive me. I'm doing a project on AIDS for my high school anatomy class, and I've been getting mixed messages about the relations of homosexuality and AIDS. Some people tell me that being gay highly increases your likelihood of contracting AIDS and spreading it. Others say things opposing that. I personally do not think that just because somebody's homosexual means that they're automatically a cesspool for the AIDS virus- I think that's a bigotted stereotype made up by homophobes in the effort the find a scapegoat for AIDS. But that is only what I THINK- I need FACTS to support that, you know? Especially in the area where I live, it is necessary that I have such facts to pursuade my class that the entire gay/AIDS thing is an unfair stereotype. Can you help me out?

-Teenaged gay freedom activist in Kansas

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

There is a common myth that HIV/AIDS is a gay disease. However, the reality is that anyone, gay or straight, black or white, male or female, intelligent or Republican, can acquire HIV/AIDS. The AIDS virus is transmitted through unsafe sex, sharing infected needles and/or blood-to-blood contact. Worldwide, HIV is spread most often through heterosexual sexual contact. Check out these and other HIV/AIDS facts on this Web site and related links. I'd also suggest you review the HIV/AIDS information on the UNAIDS (United Nations), CDC (Centers for Disease Control) and WHO (World Health Organization) Web sites. The "facts" are indeed incontestable.

I applaud your efforts to enlighten your classmates. Hopefully their understanding will evolve when confronted with facts. Then again, I see that you are from Kansas and consequently "evolve" may be the wrong word to use. Everyone knows there is no "evolution" in Kansas.

Good luck nonetheless.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hope your brother gets well soon!
Next
Update on Treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.