Jaw Surgery

I have been having orthodontic work done and will need to have jaw surgery as well to correct my over bite. The surgery will be for the upper and lower jaw. I have been informed of some of the draw backs from having being HIV+. Is there another alternative or procedure? I was diagnosed with HIV back in Feb. of this year. My last lab work showed the viral load undectable and CD4 around 267. My age is 43 and I feel great. I take all me meds as instructed and never missed a dose. Can you offer any information that I can prusue? Thank you for your time and consideration in answering my e-mail.

Regarding alternatives for your overbite, I wouldn't have a clue, as I am not an orthodontist. I'd suggest you direct that question to your orthodontist. If surgery is recommended and you wish to have it done, I see no reason why you shouldn't proceed with that plan. What "drawbacks" have you been informed about? Your CD4 count is 267, you've recently been placed on HAART therapy and you have an undetectable viral load. Therefore I do not see any medical justification for not proceeding with surgery if that is what is recommended or required. If the surgery is elective, which I presume it is even if your overbite allows you to eat corn on the cob through a picket fence, you could postpone the procedure for three to six months to see if your CD4 count rises now that you are on meds and the viral load has been suppressed to undetectable levels. But this is certainly not a deal breaker as to whether or not you have surgery. OK?

Good luck! Stay well!

Risk percentage to neg. top
I had all of the syptoms