Having memory loss and lack of concentration at work.

Hi Dr Bob, First and foremost I'd like to say how much I appreciate you as a doctor and an advisor to the world.Your sense of humor really keeps us going.When I was diagnosed my CD4 count was 1052 that was in 2003.I stopped having sex because my boyfriend left me because of my status.Now I started seeing a very nice and handsome HIV- guy who loves me regardless of my status.The problem is at work sometimes I feel like my mind is not on par,lack of concentration,memory loss and forgetfulness in things that I have done in a few minutes time ( fatique )How can I overcome this problem?I'm afraid this is going to affect my work terribly because I work with money and forgetting what you did with it or when is not a good idea to any possible employer.

Keep up the good spirit Dr Bob and best of luck to you and your handsome partner in trying to tie the knot.

Violet ( SA )

Hi Violet,

Advisor to the world??? Hmmm . . . are you sure you don't have me confused with the Dali Lama??? I'm usually just referred to as "that sex guy on TheBody.com."

Your complaints of poor concentration, memory loss and forgetfulness are common and are frequently grouped together and referred to medically as cognitive dysfunction. Cognitive dysfunction can occur with HIV disease as well as with many other conditions. The first thing I suggest is that you see your HIV specialist for a complete evaluation. I can't really suggest specific therapies to treat this problem without knowing for certain the exact cause. Once that is established, specific therapeutic options can be discussed. For instance, there is no doubt that HIV does infect the brain. Many of the newer HIV medications do have good brain penetration, which can result in an improvement in HIV-related cognitive dysfunction, if that is the cause of your problem. You mention that your CD4 count was 1052 in 2003. Generally speaking, we would not consider starting HAART until your CD4 count has dropped into the 250-350 range consistently.

Regarding your ex-boyfriend who split because you are HIV positive, the Dali Lama assures me that he will return in the next life as a dung beetle.

Stay well, Violet!

American Scared in Vienna needs help ASAP!
a patented cure for AIDS in 1997, that no one knows about, fact or fiction?