Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I (I MEAN MY FRIEND) WANTS TO WOO-HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2005

Dr. Bob -

Suppoe a gentlemen went to Vegas for a weekend on the town withthe boys, and while there engaged in protected sex with a pro where the condom stayed in tact. Suppose I, I mean that same gentlemen has had generalized swollen lymph nodes for 3 months, mild but recurring headaches constantly, a red but not sore throat (caused by post nasal drip for 3 months), stiff neck and sore shoulders (3 months), and muscle twitches for past 1 month. Now suppose that on the same day at three months, he took an Oraquick advance (finger prick) which was negative, a P24 antigen which returned non-reative, and a Amplicor 1.5 ultrasentive PCR RNA that returned less than 50 copies. Would it be premature for me to tell myself, uh I mean this gentlemen that he is not infected with HIV, and needs to look elsewhere for the cause of his symptoms? I'm trying to look out for the sanity of my friend. He (and I) are seeing a counselor about this already by the way.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Oh you don't have to bother trying to relay to your friend all the information and advice I could provide. Just have him write to me directly, O.K.? Although I must admit that it is wonderful that your friend can count on you and confide in you to such a degree! Also, when your friend writes in, remind him to post his question in the proper forum. This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks with concerns about fatigue and/or anemia. Your friend should post his question in the Safer Sex/HIV Prevention Forum, O.K.? Can you tell him that for me? Oh, and since you're going to be chatting with him anyway, go ahead and tell him to WOO-HOO! His risk was nonexistent if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. His three-month negative antibody test confirms his negative status. Regarding the PCR, that's also corroborative, but in general, I don't recommend PCR testing for routine HIV screening.

Congratulate your friend for me.

Stay well, both of you.

Dr. Bob

Previous
RE:Tired of Living Like This. I BEG you to please answer me.
Next
Should I tell our children

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.