ouch

Hi Dr. Bob... I couldn't find an appropriate forum, so i thought I'de ask you.. Undetectable, cd4 800ish, sustiva/truvada afetr 1 year. About 3-4 times a year, for the last 10 years, I get a fiercely painful lymph node in the soft part of my throat just to the right of my adam's apple. It's accompanied by malaise & fatigue and clears up in a week or so. No evidence of infection, cold, sore throat, cough or fever. I do have a perforated eardrum on that side, but the ear never seems to hurt or feel stuffed up when I get this. Can trapped water cause an infection that inflames the node, but not the ear canal itself? My Dr. is stumped. Any thoughts at all? Rich in NYC

Hello, Yes, I suppose it is possible that you have intermittent problems with your Eustachian tubes or paranasal sinuses resulting from your perforated-eardrum problem. Since this is a recurrent problem, I would suggest you see an ENT physician the next time the symptoms are active. It is easier to diagnose the cause of these types of problems when the symptoms are present. I'd suggest establishing care with an HIV-knowledgeable ENT specialist now and setting up a plan to be seen again as soon as the condition flares up again. Good luck, Rich. Give my best to the "Big" Apple (not your "Adam's"). Dr. Bob

Am on my knees... pls help Doc.
Why are all the experts all over the place on the "window period"