Dr. Robert - PLEASE PLEASE I need your advice. PLEASE

Hi Dr Frascino - I have asked this question many times but have gotten no answer from you. PLEASE PLEASE I need your expertise - I have not had any exposures since 1 year ago. This month, I took an oraquick rapid hiv1/2 test and it came back negative. I then went to a lab, they gave me a blood test that took a few days for the results to come in. They said their own test came back positive and that they confirmed it with western blot. I asked if they did an initial elisa first. They said yes. They got me really worried. I'm too scared to ask them to re-do the test. I was told the rapid test is as accurate as an elisa test and it detects both hiv1 and 2. Someone advised that I should test again. So I then took another oraquick again - negative. The counsellor that performed the test said i am conclusively negative since it's been over a year. I waited a few weeks and took the test again.. it was still negative. I don't understand what's going on. Could a mistake have happened? I called CDC. they say if one is positive, it will show up on antibody tests. I spoke to 3 other people at CDC again, they said with 2 oraquick negatives after the labs positive, then I am negative. Even if they confirmed it. Shouldn't the antibody should be showing up since it's a year later? I don't have any health problems. Help I am loosing my mind!!

I have absolutely no doubt you are HIV negative. The single positive blood test was a false-positive. Yes, mistakes do happen. After all, Bush got elected (well, sort of). Right? You can read about the causes of false-positive tests, including technical and clerical errors, in the archives.

Don't lose your mind. Lose the unwarranted worries instead, O.K.?

How To Get Tested
The Streets of Philadelphia