Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Robert - PLEASE PLEASE I need your advice. PLEASE
Aug 30, 2005

Hi Dr Frascino - I have asked this question many times but have gotten no answer from you. PLEASE PLEASE I need your expertise - I have not had any exposures since 1 year ago. This month, I took an oraquick rapid hiv1/2 test and it came back negative. I then went to a lab, they gave me a blood test that took a few days for the results to come in. They said their own test came back positive and that they confirmed it with western blot. I asked if they did an initial elisa first. They said yes. They got me really worried. I'm too scared to ask them to re-do the test. I was told the rapid test is as accurate as an elisa test and it detects both hiv1 and 2. Someone advised that I should test again. So I then took another oraquick again - negative. The counsellor that performed the test said i am conclusively negative since it's been over a year. I waited a few weeks and took the test again.. it was still negative. I don't understand what's going on. Could a mistake have happened? I called CDC. they say if one is positive, it will show up on antibody tests. I spoke to 3 other people at CDC again, they said with 2 oraquick negatives after the labs positive, then I am negative. Even if they confirmed it. Shouldn't the antibody should be showing up since it's a year later? I don't have any health problems. Help I am loosing my mind!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I have absolutely no doubt you are HIV negative. The single positive blood test was a false-positive. Yes, mistakes do happen. After all, Bush got elected (well, sort of). Right? You can read about the causes of false-positive tests, including technical and clerical errors, in the archives.

Don't lose your mind. Lose the unwarranted worries instead, O.K.?

Dr. Bob

Previous
How To Get Tested
Next
The Streets of Philadelphia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.