The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

female condoms
Aug 26, 2005

Hi Dr Bob, I was just reading a question from July 23rd from an HIV+ lady who couldn't use condoms with her boyfriend because he couldn't keep it up. I had a similar problem with a boyfriend and found that the female condom (marketed as Femidom over here in the UK) offers much more sensation for the guy, enabling him to keep it up! They're a bit more expensive than ordinary condoms, but I found they were definitely worth it. If, in your opinion, they are as effective as latex condoms for preventing HIV transmission, I would highly recommend them to anyone in similar circumstances :)

Love your forum by the way. You are sooooo handsome *swoon*!

Response from Dr. Frascino


Thanks for the tip! I'll post this response in the Safe Sex/HIV Prevention Forum as well.

For those readers unfamiliar with female condoms, they are made of two flexible polyurethane rings and a loose-fitting polyurethane sheath. They are approved for contraception and HIV prevention in heterosexual sex. In studies of acceptability, between 50% and 73% of women liked them as much or better than male condoms. Acceptance was somewhat less among their male partners, with only 44% reporting they liked the female condom as much or better than male condoms. However, they are certainly worth a try, and there is no doubt they represent an important advance in HIV prevention as a female-controlled HIV-prevention method.

Regarding the swoon . . . I'll be right over to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

Dr. Bob

what next?
Does masturbation lead to baldness

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint