Crypto or Giardia

What's Up Doc? I have been poz for four years and am on Combivir, Viramune, Wellbutrin, Lopressor, docusate sodium and Kadian. Last VL was under 400 and CD4 was 1000.

Past three months I have been having stoamach pain on the left side, weight loss and severe cramping when trying to pass a stool. This is accompanied by loud stomach sounds, spams, consitpation and loose moucos. A few times I've noticed what looks like yellow pea sized cysts in the toilet. Any ideas of what this could be? Thank you and I promise to make an appointment to see the Dr this week!!

There are several possible diagnoses that come to mind; however, rather than just listing these, I do think it's a good idea for you to be evaluated by your physician. A physical examination is necessary, and he may request stool specimens for analysis as well.

From an HIV perspective, your HAART regimen appears to be doing well virologically (undetectable viral load) and immunologically (CD4 count of 1000). Consequently it is unlikely you have a significant opportunistic infection related to immunosuppression.

Good luck and do keep that promise to see your doctor this week, O.K.?

MEDS
Going To The Hospital