Tired Without Meds or just 45

I was diagnosed hiv positive one year ago this September. My viral load is 90k and my CD4 count is 450. My doctor has said to wait on the meds. Lately I have been feeling tired. Are there affects from the hiv, other than the meds can cause which would make me feel run down? With such a high viral load after one year should I consider starting meds?

You are not alone! As it turns out, fatigue is the most common complaint of us "virally enhanced" folks. HIV-related fatigue is extremely common and often multifactorial in nature. This means that out of the numerous possible causes of fatigue in pozitoids, often several underlying problems are acting simultaneously to zap our zip!

Fatigue can be caused by inappropriate attention to basic human requirements, such as rest, sleep, diet and/or exercise. Anxiety, stress and depression are associated with fatigue. Even alcohol consumption, smoking and recreational drugs could be contributing to the problem. In addition, fatigue can be a symptom of an opportunistic infection, a hormonal imbalance, drug side effect, or anemia.

Read through the archives of this forum and then discuss your fatigue with your HIV specialist. If evaluated properly, the cause(s) can be determined and effectively treated.

I agree with your doctor: you do not need to begin HAART yet.

God Bless You and All You Do For Humanity
hiv