TEST RESULTS ????

Dear ROB; Appreciate very much what you are doing here.I've been reading the questions and answers in the hope of finding an answer to my question.By the way,some of your answers are really funny;so most of the time I find myself really laughing.Anyway my question is...Would an ELISA test be accurate,many years after the conversion period.For example someone gets infected or thinks he is infected ,then decides to stay that way for many years,with all the symptoms.One day he just manages to "crawl" to the hospital.Would an ELISA test be good enough?MY PROBLEM is that the ELISA says NO,the symptoms say yes,there is something wrong,..all other STDs are neg.But the ELISA????

OK, so you've been reading the posts in this forum. That's good. And you've been laughing. That's good, too. But, have you been paying attention to the stories that are so very similar to your own??? There are gazillions of posts by gazillions of folks who are 100 percent convinced they have "it," but after testing and sometimes testing plus counseling eventually realize they are HIV negative. Once they stop perseverating on HIV and address their real problem, be it anxiety, irrational fear or an unrecognized medical problem, they get better and their protracted symptoms resolve.

Lots of folks "crawl" in to get tested, and most cha-cha-cha out when they get their negative results. Some, however, have difficulty accepting the wonderful news of their negative HIV status and crawl back out still convinced they must be positive, worried about the accuracy of their tests, etc. I think you belong to this second category. I can't diagnose your "symptoms" over the Internet, but if your ELISA test is negative "many years" after your potential exposure, I can assure you what is not causing your symptoms: it's not HIV. If you really were HIV positive, your ELISA tests would indeed still be accurate, even after many years, OK?

So what to do??? I suggest you get counseling to help with your irrational HIV fears. In other words, you need some cha-cha lessons, OK?

Good luck and congratulations on your "ELISA saying 'no.'"

any medicine to be started or not
Concerned and overwhelmed