Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

TEST RESULTS ????
Jul 23, 2005

Dear ROB; Appreciate very much what you are doing here.I've been reading the questions and answers in the hope of finding an answer to my question.By the way,some of your answers are really funny;so most of the time I find myself really laughing.Anyway my question is...Would an ELISA test be accurate,many years after the conversion period.For example someone gets infected or thinks he is infected ,then decides to stay that way for many years,with all the symptoms.One day he just manages to "crawl" to the hospital.Would an ELISA test be good enough?MY PROBLEM is that the ELISA says NO,the symptoms say yes,there is something wrong,..all other STDs are neg.But the ELISA????

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

OK, so you've been reading the posts in this forum. That's good. And you've been laughing. That's good, too. But, have you been paying attention to the stories that are so very similar to your own??? There are gazillions of posts by gazillions of folks who are 100 percent convinced they have "it," but after testing and sometimes testing plus counseling eventually realize they are HIV negative. Once they stop perseverating on HIV and address their real problem, be it anxiety, irrational fear or an unrecognized medical problem, they get better and their protracted symptoms resolve.

Lots of folks "crawl" in to get tested, and most cha-cha-cha out when they get their negative results. Some, however, have difficulty accepting the wonderful news of their negative HIV status and crawl back out still convinced they must be positive, worried about the accuracy of their tests, etc. I think you belong to this second category. I can't diagnose your "symptoms" over the Internet, but if your ELISA test is negative "many years" after your potential exposure, I can assure you what is not causing your symptoms: it's not HIV. If you really were HIV positive, your ELISA tests would indeed still be accurate, even after many years, OK?

So what to do??? I suggest you get counseling to help with your irrational HIV fears. In other words, you need some cha-cha lessons, OK?

Good luck and congratulations on your "ELISA saying 'no.'"

Dr. Bob

Previous
any medicine to be started or not
Next
Concerned and overwhelmed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.