Thank you! I have made a descision. Let's see what you think!

Dr. Bob, I recently sought your advise on changing careers and leaving my job in education and going into real estate. After consulting with a legal advisor on this sight, I think you are right when you say there is some discrimination going on. I have not gone public with my status as I live in small South Texas community. (I have lived here for 38 years) At the advise of the "job expert" at "The Body" I am going to set up a meeting with my HR director and set out my concerns and ask what will be done to change the situation. I do love my work and it works well with being a single dad with a child starting school. We have the same schedule and it allows me to spend as much time with him as possible. I know this is not the correct forum for all of this mess but it is my anemia that is causing me to miss work and not be as effective as I have been in the past. I work in education and it just seems that there are different (unspoken) rules that apply to making any kind of formal complaint. I am also going to (finally) make it clear to my supervisors that I am no longer afraid of anyone finding out about my HIV status. I believe that they have counted on my silence to keep me from making any waves. Luckily I have many friends working as lawyers that would be more than happy to take on the big dogs on my behalf. Any suggestions on the best way to let my employers know that I am no longer going to be treated as a second class citizen? I just want my life back. I want to go to work, be happy, and raise my son without worrying where the next ambush is coming from. Even my brother (a Baptist preacher and amazingly supportive of me) says that just spilling the beans about all of this might be the best way to take back my power. I know that I am taking up a lot of your time with all this mess. I just feel like this is the first time I have been able to really talk about what is happening in my life. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Scared, but ready to rock!

JME

Hello JME,

My advice remains unchanged. Document your complaints and their effect on your health in your formal medical record. Involve your HIV specialist and an AIDS-knowledgeable lawyer before "just spilling the beans." Perhaps the best way to let your employers know what is going on is to have the lawyer write to them, documenting your concerns. Disclosing your status or not is totally up to you, and should be a separate issue from HIV discrimination in the workplace.

Since this is a Fatigue and Anemia Forum, what's going on with your anemia complaints? Has your HIV specialist evaluated this problem? Proper diagnosis and treatment of HIV-related anemia can increase energy, enhance quality of life and can even lead to improved survival.

Thinkin of making major changes in my life! Would like your input
Recent HIV Result