Should be in the hall of fame

HI Doctor Bob, Thanks for the quick response regarding my HIV+ 16 year old daughter. Upon reflection,I guess I should have a greater "nagging concern," if my child wanted to do stand-up. At least she could sleep all day!!! Anyway, your thoughts gave me a refreshingly, positive perspective. That is what I needed. Thanks! I will continue being the captain of her personal fan club. That's what my folks were to me and it made all the difference in my self confidence and parenting. Part II My fav of all your whacky emails was from the guy that had sex using a plastic grocery bag since he had no condoms! I roared at that one! Problem is that since then, the question, "paper or plastic?" takes on an entirely new meaning. My immediate inclination is to choose neither...but then a green grocer's canvas bag would be really awful! Take care, Same L.A.Mom different day

Hi L.A. Mom,

Always glad to be of service. I hope your daughter does decide to become a physician. She sounds like just the kind of associate I would enjoy having.

I'll reprint the plastic-grocery-bag question so our readers won't have to go hunting for it. I've seen a bit of a trend lately. Questioners have been submitting their favorite Dr. Bob posts along with their question. I guess that makes sense, as it is summer rerun season, right?

As for the green grocer's canvas bag OUCHAMAGOUCHA!

Stay well!

Used a plastic grocery bag as a condom..trouble! Dec 7, 2003

Hello Doc,

I am very worried over an incident that occurred a few months back. I had sex with a high-risk female. I wrapped a common plastic grocery bag around my dick and had sex for about 3 minutes.

When I finished there was no visible vaginal fluid on my penis or on the bag.

But then two weeks later, I noticed a lighter-color skin patch (area) on the shapt of my penis almost as though something had entered my skin. There is no itching or any feeling, just the discoloration. What do you think is up? Is it possible that although I didn't see any fluids on the bag or on my penis, that just being inside the vagina, HIV could have passed through the bag and enter the skin? Also some friends have told me I have lost weight.

The act happened almost 5 months ago. I plan to get tested next month. But perhaps I should get a post exposure prophylaxis?

Please advise.

Thanks

A plastic grocery bag??? Who were you banging? The checkout clerk at the local Piggly Wiggly?

This event happened five months ago and you are wondering about PEP (Post-exposure prophylaxis) now? No, that wouldn't be helpful. PEP needs to be started within 72 hours of exposure.

Could HIV pass through the grocery bag? I would have no way of knowing. Well-designed placebo-controlled clinical trials using plastic grocery bags have yet to be conducted.

Your symptoms on your penis "shapt" are not at all concerning for HIV disease.

What should you do? If you are concerned about HIV, get tested. HIV tests are definitive at three months. So you can test right away. What else should you do? Buy a pack of latex condoms and discard the plastic bag they come in so you aren't tempted to "cum" in it as well.

CAVERJECT USE AND ORAL SEX/FOREPLAY
Thinkin of making major changes in my life! Would like your input