"Abbots Custard?" "Tasty?" "Yes!!!"

Hey Dr.Bob, "smile-guy" here. Abbots is great if licked off the right guy's chest or...!" ""BIG-SMILE" Sorry, couldn't help myself? "smile" I do have a legitimate question though, "honest". I recently had bloodwork come back that causes me some concern. I am now undetectable(great right?"), although, my cd4's are going down. Last check, my cd4's & viral were almost even @ cd4-240, & viral-200, now, cd4-184, & viral- undetectable? Is this something to be conerned about? I am in a study and have had a hard time from the beginning, the only thing I thought I could count on was "good #'s", because I certainly have had a hard time(ie:side effects, etc.). Anything you can suggest in regards to this would be greatly appreciated, "the counts, not the Aboots thing". "smile" Thanks, "Smile" Guy(Dave in Rochester)

Hey Dave,

An Abbotts custard and walk along the beach sound good right about now. Of course licking an Abbotts off the lifeguard's chest sounds even better. But once again, I digress . . . .

You don't mention the interval between these two sets of blood-test results. Also, I would need to know your general trend since starting the new regimen, and also if there were any intercurrent illnesses or other factors that might influence your results. In general, your viral load did do what we had hoped decreases to undetectable. However, your CD4 count did not behave so well. We would expect as the viral load is suppressed to undetectable levels that your CD4 count rises. Yours, unfortunately, went in the wrong direction. Also concerning is that it slipped below the 200 mark. That leaves you more susceptible to certain opportunistic disease, particularly PCP (Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia). You'll need to take PCP prophylaxis to help prevent PCP until your CD4s recover and stay above 200 for a number of months. Since you are participating in a clinical trial and your CD4 count is declining, I think it's time for you to meet with the HIV specialist physician involved with the clinical trial and discuss your options. Participation in clinical trials is always voluntary, and if your numbers don't improve and there is no explanation for their decline, you should consider all your options, including dropping out of the clinical trial, if necessary.

Good luck, Dave. Please send my best to Rochester and the good folks at Abbotts. Have you tried the Rochester-Toronto ferry yet?

Stay well.

Parvo or RA
CAVERJECT USE AND ORAL SEX/FOREPLAY