Switching meds and anemia

Hello Dr. Bob. My MD is an HIV-specialist and has recently suggested that, due to AZT-aggravated anemia, I switch from Sustiva/Combivir to Sustiva/Ziagen or Sustiva/Videx. I have full confidence in her, but am questioning the efficacy of Ziagen and Videx. Have studies proven that they are equally as effective as Combivir? Thanks! Licious

Hi Licious,

Sustiva/Combivir is a three-drug HAART regimen that has been shown to be effective and potent. One of its potentially limiting factors is AZT-induced anemia. Treatment options for this complication include using Procrit to stimulate the production of new red blood cells or switching off AZT. If you decide to switch, I would not recommend either Sustiva/Videx or Sustiva/Ziagen, as these two options have only two drugs in the regimen (compared to your previous three). There are also potential side-effect issues to consider possible hypersensitivity for Ziagen, neuropathy or pancreatitis for Videx, etc. Out of the many potential options, my current personal preference would be Sustiva/Truvada (Emtriva + Viread). Discuss all the potential options with your HIV specialist. There are many factors that must be taken into consideration when selecting a new regimen resistance, drug-drug interactions, pill count, dosing schedule, etc.

Good luck, Licious,

THANK YOU!
HIV/AIDS