Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Window Period
Jun 23, 2005

Dear Dr,

Recently exposed to unknown amount of blood during hospital visit with fresh cut on my hand, washed it off but did not take PEP drugs. Two weeks later develop fatigue and muscle aching, night sweat, tongue blemish, cold sore, dementia, diarrhea, etc. One month later I done a blood test on HIV I&II (ELISA), VDRL, TPHA, Chlamydia IGG Herpes I&II, Hepatitis B are all negative. But anti-streptolysin elevated as high as 400H per IU/ML (exceed the normal range=<200). Is this considered as window period infection for HIV? Does the streptolysin means there are HIV toxin that cause destruction of hemoglobin in my blood? Please help!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You developed "dementia" two weeks after your exposure? Hmmm . . . OK, if you say so.

Antistreptolysin O (also called ASO) is an antibody found in blood that indicates sometime in the past you have had an infection like strep throat caused by the Streptococcus bacterium. It has nothing to do with HIV tests.

The "window period" for HIV infection is considered to be three months for most types of potential HIV exposures. HIV tests taken prior to three months are not considered definitive.

I would not be at all concerned about your elevated ASO. If you are having ongoing symptoms, see your doctor for an evaluation before that dementia drives you crazy.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can I purchase B12 injectable w/o prescription?
Next
tired

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.