The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I purchase B12 injectable w/o prescription?
Jun 23, 2005

My mother has pernicious anemia. I believe this is a result of a lifetime of severe rheumatoid arthritis. She has been receiving Procrit injections and receiving monthly B12 injections for over a year with mild discomfort. Recently it seems as though her blood is able to maintain its counts on its own - w/o the Procrit. But coincident with this, she has been experiencing double vision, fatigue, weak arms and legs (can barely stand up, can't do stairs), tingling of hands and feet, leg pain. She has been strong and active until the past month when it seemed the Procrit actually began to work. Then whammo - all of these side effects hit her. The hematologist says one monthly injection of B12 is enough and won't give her more. But all of these symptoms are symptoms of B12 deficiency. We want to try to give her B12 injections at more frequent intervals to see if it helps. The doctor won't prescribe it (but is doing nothing else to help). It is my understanding that B12 is water-soluble, so she should be able to take more w/o a health risk. I would like to purchase injectable B12 and try giving more frequent injections for a month or two to see if it helps.

I can find B12 readily in every form except injectable - which she needs because none of the other methods are effective. I found a site from Romania that sells B12 injectable w/o prescription, but wonder if this is safe.

Please advise. The doctors are all saying "not my problem".

Response from Dr. Frascino


Injectable medication from Romania doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Neither does playing doctor with your mother's health.

Perhaps the biggest problem here is contained in the last line of your post "The doctors are all saying 'not my problem.'" What's up with that? Rather than searching the Web for underground sources of injectable B12, you need to locate a more compassionate physician for your mother. Rheumatoid arthritis is best managed by a rheumatologist and pernicious anemia, by a hematologist. Your mother's symptoms require a thorough evaluation by qualified specialists, rather than trial and error, well-intentioned home remedies. Get your mother the help she needs, not mail-order Romanian meds she doesn't. This is not only the safest, but also the wisest course of action.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

can i wait?
Window Period

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint