Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

do I have aids?
Jun 12, 2005

In february I had my first test for HIV--positive. My blood work indicated that my T-cells were less than 20 and virus load was 80,000 or 800,000, I'm not sure. I must admit I was feeling pretty cruddy for a long time--fevers and nightsweats for a year straight over the last year; oral yeast infection for 11 years; two incidents of pnuemonia, strep; but always managed to get to work, ride my bike and do what I had to do (not effortlessly, no doubt); I've been being treated for my infection for about 3 - 4 months with Sustiva/Truvada, Diflucon, and some other preventive meds. My virus load has really taken a hit. "138" --I don't know the zeros, if any; My T-cells have gone up to about 64; (down from 68 2 months ago) I must admit I feel much better (I was so stupid before--confused, fevered, achy, clumbsy, etc.) TIRED! but now that I've been reading up on HIV/AIDS, I can't help but wonder, do I have AIDS? Everyone else with HIV seems so much healthier "cell-wise" than me, although I think I've been able to do more than most. What's up? I've been afraid to ask.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

If and when someone's T-cell count falls below 200, a diagnosis of AIDS is confirmed. Your initial T-cell count was 20 and consequently you do have an AIDS diagnosis.

I'm delighted you are not on HAART treatment and your viral load has taken a hit. And since we don't know how many (if any) zeros come after the "138," it's a bit hard to comment. In general, as viral load becomes more suppressed, the CD4 count gradually climbs. If not, and if the viral load remains over 1,000, resistance testing may be warranted to see if your virus is still sensitive to your medications. Also, if CD4 cells continue to be relatively stagnant, consideration could be given to switching to a protease inhibitor-based regimen, as this may stimulate additional T-cell regeneration.

I have no doubt your very significant degree of immune deficiency was an underlying cause of many of your health complaints over recent years. I'm hopeful your therapy will lead to both immune reconstitution and improved health.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Transfusions as a treatment?
Next
recently infected with HIV and viral load is undetectable without meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.