May 15, 2005
i have another question...along with my countless hiv tests, i have gotten countless cbc tests done. they have always been normal, and thus i don't understand why i have developed chronic sinusitus. i think it must be hiv or at least cancer. but the last test was negative for hiv and my last exposure was eight months before that test. i can't go on getting test after test after test, the anxiety, the dread, the visceral belief that i deserve a serious diesease weakens me with each passing day. what is my problem, what should i do ?
Response from Dr. Frascino
"Countless HIV tests," all negative, plus "countless CBC tests," all normal, so you think you "must have HIV or at least cancer???" What? Did I miss something here? Why not pick on Ebola virus or tuberculosis? You probably have negative tests for those as well, right?
Dude (or Dudette), you've got chronic sinusitis, which is a very common condition and most often not linked to HIV, cancer, Ebola or tuberculosis. Go see an ENT doctor. He'll evaluate you for allergy problems and other common causes of chronic sinusitis.
As for your "visceral belief that I deserve a serious disease," well that's another problem all together. For this, you need psychological or psychiatric help.
To sum up:
1. What are your problems? Chronic sinusitis and anxiety/depression.
2. What should you do? See an ENT doctor for your sinusitis and a therapist for your anxiety. It does indeed appear that all your problems are in your head, so to speak.
One thing that's for certain: HIV is not your problem! I suggest you get the help you need, rather than more unwarranted, useless tests that you don't.
Dear Dr. Frascino
- Is Chills A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Itchy Scrotum Could I Have HIV
- Red Spots After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- How Do I Get Rid Of Genital Warts In The Mouth?
- How Often Does Chlamydia Cause You To Be Sterile In Women?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.