Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob: Ad astra per aspera
May 11, 2005

For those readers who don't have pocket translators, the phrase in my title reads: "To the stars through difficulties."

That's you, Dr. Bob -- and your (much needed) work. You truly are "rising to the stars" through the difficulties you and all HIV+'ers face daily. I don't know if I'd be as strong as you if I was ever confronted with such a "difficulty" but I pray for the strength to do so.

Just thought a quick "Thank you" would be in order, and I think I'd be the first to do so in Latin.

You truly are a star :)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Gosh, when I saw the Latin I immediately thought Ratzinger, oops I mean Benedict XVI, was writing in again. Did you know the new pontiff gave his first homily in Latin? Gee, what a progressive and forward thinking thing to do!

I guess it goes along with his thinking on condoms. The Vatican's ban on condoms has cost many hundreds of thousands of lives lost to AIDS. When historians look back on the Catholic Church in this era, they'll give credit for having fought communism and helping the poor. But they'll also count the Church's anti-condom campaign as among its most tragic mistakes in the first two millennia of its history!

The Vatican has horribly undercut the war against AIDS in two ways. First, it has tried to prevent Catholic clinics, charities and churches from giving out condoms or encouraging their use. Second, it argues loudly that condoms don't protect against HIV, thus discouraging their use. Fortunately, the Vatican's policies are being routinely and increasingly breached by those charged with carrying them out. Apparently folks are realizing God really would not object to condom use to save lives. Someone ought to tell Benedict! Hmmm, maybe I'll send him a letter. Can you help me write it in Latin???

Thanks for your support!

Dr. Bob

Previous
dealing with anxiety
Next
You rule!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.