Dr. Bob: Ad astra per aspera

For those readers who don't have pocket translators, the phrase in my title reads: "To the stars through difficulties."

That's you, Dr. Bob -- and your (much needed) work. You truly are "rising to the stars" through the difficulties you and all HIV+'ers face daily. I don't know if I'd be as strong as you if I was ever confronted with such a "difficulty" but I pray for the strength to do so.

Just thought a quick "Thank you" would be in order, and I think I'd be the first to do so in Latin.

You truly are a star :)

Gosh, when I saw the Latin I immediately thought Ratzinger, oops I mean Benedict XVI, was writing in again. Did you know the new pontiff gave his first homily in Latin? Gee, what a progressive and forward thinking thing to do!

I guess it goes along with his thinking on condoms. The Vatican's ban on condoms has cost many hundreds of thousands of lives lost to AIDS. When historians look back on the Catholic Church in this era, they'll give credit for having fought communism and helping the poor. But they'll also count the Church's anti-condom campaign as among its most tragic mistakes in the first two millennia of its history!

The Vatican has horribly undercut the war against AIDS in two ways. First, it has tried to prevent Catholic clinics, charities and churches from giving out condoms or encouraging their use. Second, it argues loudly that condoms don't protect against HIV, thus discouraging their use. Fortunately, the Vatican's policies are being routinely and increasingly breached by those charged with carrying them out. Apparently folks are realizing God really would not object to condom use to save lives. Someone ought to tell Benedict! Hmmm, maybe I'll send him a letter. Can you help me write it in Latin???

Thanks for your support!

dealing with anxiety
You rule!!