Sun and hiv

Bonjour Dr. Frascino.

First thanks for the answer to a question you answered a few months ago. You are truly a ray of light for many of us. My question concern not anemia but I am sure you can answer it. Just came back from a sun holidays with a nice tan. I am considering to use a sunbed tanning for a couple of times to keep at least my tanning for a couple of weeks. Is there any danger to use a tanning bed if I use a good cream protection and I just go a couple of times. What is your opinion about it. My VL is undetec. and my cd4 are between 420 to 550. Thanks so much for your help and advice. Steve

Hi Steve,

In general, HIV or no HIV, ultraviolet rays are not considered all that healthy. Consequently, recommending trips to the "electric beach" would not be in any health guidelines. Would just a couple times cause any harm, particularly because you're poz? No, probably not. And yes, a nice tan line can be sexy. By the way, there are some "tan in a can" topical products that work quite well and carry absolutely no risk. You might want to check these out as well.

Stay well, Bronze-Guy,

Gay Mans Desease
Low iron, but not anemic?