Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sex after hiv infection
Feb 21, 2005

doc, i was diagnosed in april have not had sex since with anyone. my cd count is over 600 and load count is negative. my question is is it still possible to transmit the virus? is my life to be sexless. i am a bottom. what about finding a guy with the same strain? i check the articles and forums and find little to do with living with hiv sexually. thanks kevin

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Kevin,

You are presently in the Fatigue and Anemia Forum where there is surprise, surprise much more information on fatigue and anemia than sex. If you want sex, you've got to tune into the sex forum. Check out the Safer Sex Forum and read through the archives, particularly those questions that deal with magnetic couples. I can assure you the archives of that forum are loaded with enough sex to put the natural curl back into Condi Rice's hair.

Specifically to answer your questions:

1. Are you still infectious, even though your viral load is undetectable (a more accurate word than "negative," by the way), and you have high CD4 cells? Yes, you are. Safe sex (condoms) remains imperative.

2. Is your life to be sexless? I don't know. Do you look like Donald Rumsfeld? If so, yeah, sex is out of the question. However, if you look like a poz version of Dermot Mulroney, I'd say you should shop at Costco to get supersized boxes of condoms and quart-sized squeeze bottles of Astroglide.

3. What about finding a guy with the same strain? What? I'm not sure that a Manhunt or Gay.com personal that reads "Hot muscle bottom for action now. Must be real and be strain XGH269HV77692Q poz" would be all that "fruitful", so to speak. No, my friend, this is not a good idea. You just need to practice safer sex with a partner, poz or neg, who is comfortable with your HIV status. OK?

Stay well, Kevin.

Dr. Bob

Previous
hep c treatment side effects
Next
Cocaine and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.