just sayin' thanks (and 1 last quick question)

Dear Dr. Bob,

I'm the one who asked about discontinuing PEP 1 week early. Thank you so much for responding. Being on these meds and having gone through this experience has really changed my life and changed the way I view sex and people with HIV/AIDS. I think I used to think that people who contracted HIV probably deserved it for being so careless - and I realize now that people do make mistakes and you can be an intelligent careful person and still contract the disease. Maybe it should have been obvious, but this has made it clear to me that Im not invincible and that I could easily switch places with someone who is positive. The fact that it took such an experience to open my eyes frightens me, because I think of how many people wont have a scare like me, who will think they are invincible until they become positive. I also learned that becoming positive really isnt a death-sentence as awful as these meds are, if I had to take them the rest of my life, I would and Id get used to it and Id move on. I commend you on having lived with these drugs for so long and I owe you my deepest gratitude for trying to make a difference. Assuming I continue to test negative at 3 and 6 months, here is one gay male you no longer have to worry about. As a side note you mentioned in your response that a typical cycle is 28 days. Im on day 27 but I have 30 days worth of pills and my doctor didnt specify if I could stop at 28 days. Im going to try and call him Monday but he is difficult to get in contact with. If you happen to receive this and are able to post a response before Wednesday (day 30), let me know if you think its okay for me to stop on day 28. It may seem petty, but with the way these drugs affect me 2 days less would be a wonderful late birthday gift :)

Hi again,

The current recommendation for a complete cycle of PEP is 28 days. Happy Belated Birthday!

Good luck. I'm delighted I no longer have to worry about you.

Stay well.

procrit and condoms
Feeling Sick and Being Well or Feeling Well and Getting Sick