Please Help me move on for good, Bob...

Dear Dr. Bob,

I wrote to you back in June 2003, after id engaged in a one-time unprotected sexual encounter. Id just tested HIV- at 3 months, and was having slight trouble Letting go.

Anyway, you obviously told me my test was conclusive, and that my so called ars illness, couldnt have been ars at all I accepted this, and after a short while, got back on with my life, knowing I was indeed HIV negative. I even went back to donating blood a few months later, something id stopped doing seeing as id convinced myself 100% that I had the virus.

Now, to my problem nearly 2 years on Im stick stuck with a very annoying symptom, im not even sure if its real and not psychological, after all, id previously read about it online...

I had your classic worried wells seroconversion illness during my window period - on and off niggling symptoms starting 3 days after the encounter, which lead to a full blown mono like illness at week 6, id never been ill like it in my life. Fever, Nightsweats, Rash, 25 lbs weight loss you name it, I had it. I was a state, contemplated suicide, the lot, I was down, I had no desire to live.

Now, after my negative test, I went back to work, and ever since Ive noticed I have a great deal of difficulty in concentrating/keeping focus. This has remained with me up until this time of writing, nearly 2 years on.

During my window, my GP thought I was nuts, I was demanding he told me I was positive, because I just knew it, I would get so angry when he told me there was nothing wrong with me! (Hed done an STD panel on me, Hep B/C tests, and many CBCs) The way I saw it was, I was right, and he was wrong.

About 10 months on from my encounter, I got myself a new partner, and about a month after we started dating (wed only had protected sex), she came down with exactly what id had, devastating mono-type illness, she was diagnosed with Glandular fever/mono Explanation for my symptoms aswell perhaps?

Im quite sure that if I went back to my GP with my problem, hed dismiss it, seeing as ive had all the tests going. I feel ashamed by the way I acted, and have avoided going to the doctors since. This is why I feel the need to ask you, I know this isnt HIV related anymore, so im not even sure Ill get an answer, and im not even sure what exactly my question is.... but maybe id feel a whole lot better if you could tell me that this isnt something that I should be worried about? I obviously dont expect you to give me a diagnosis over the internet, but should I swallow my pride and go to the GP, or accept that given all my medical tests, blood donations etc, that Im a-ok?

Cheers Bob,

Pete.

Hello Pete,

You're "stick stuck with a very annoying symptom???" OK, if you say so.

Difficulty concentrating and keeping focus can be a symptom of many conditions, including depression, anxiety, attention deficit disorder and being George Dubya. If you're worried about it, yes, you should see your GP to have it checked out and treated if necessary.

If you are ashamed of the way you acted, a simple apology should help patch things up with your doc. As physicians, we frequently see folks at their worst, so don't worry. I'm quite sure your GP will understand. If not, find a new GP!

I agree: none of this is HIV related.

Hope that helps get you "un-stick stuck".

Good luck, Pete.

Acyclovir
Confused and DEPRESSED for way too long.........