Scotch Now or wait?

I know this is outside or your normal scope but I would appreciate your attention. I have read your replies for sometime now as most deal with events that I endure.

Over the past few weeks I have been under going what I have been told is dementia. I have had many of MRI and Cat Sans so I can only assume that I am suffering from what I am told.

Neither Dr will tell me what the out come will be or how I should prepare for what is about to happen. I trust that you could give me some instruction. The Will is in order and a very Good bottle of Scotch is on hand. My question is when do I know when to break open the cap?

Most thankful for all your years of support

You don't sound nuts to me! I'd suggest you have a sit-down session with a competent, compassionate HIV specialist. (I'm assuming you're HIV positive, even though you don't mention this in your post.) Have him review your scans and discuss your diagnosis and prognosis. Determine first if it's really dementia or not that you're dealing with. Next, if it is dementia, then the question becomes why. Is it HIV related? If so, check to see if your HIV medication cocktail has good brain penetration. If it doesn't, you may need to alter your treatment regimen. If it's not HIV, but rather an opportunistic process, then that must be treated aggressively. If you are not getting the kind of help you need form your HIV specialist, get a second opinion.

Regarding the will, I'm glad it's in order. Everyone, HIV positive or not, should make sure their will, durable power of attorney for healthcare decisions and other documents are up to date to carry out their final wishes. After all, you never know about that errant bus we always keep hearing about.

Finally, regarding the good bottle of scotch, I don't believe in delayed gratification. Break open the cap and toast to your very existence. And then toast to the future as well.

Cheers!

Drug Resistance
procrit and condoms