ANEMIA

Hey Dr Bob,

My Physician's Assistant told me that my HIV doc told him that I had anemia caused by my HIV and it was chronic something-or-other. I asked him to explain what this was but he couldn't and suggested I ask you (he knows you!!!). So in one sentence or less can you explain this without getting too complex or technical? And do you think Procrit would be worth a try? I'm a bit concerned about more side effects -- I've got enough already.

Thanks,

Tired guy

Hi Tired Guy,

In "one sentence or less" you want me to explain HIV-related anemia of chronic disease without getting too complex or technical??? Well, just how "complex and technical" do you think I could get in one sentence or less???

Allrighty then, here you go . . .

Chronic HIV infection can cause chronic inflammation in the body that suppresses bone-marrow function, which, in turn, decreases the production of red blood cells and eventually causes anemia!

Procrit (Epoetin alfa), a medication that is easily self-injected once per week just under the skin, has been proven to be highly efficacious and very well tolerated for treatment of HIV-related anemia of chronic disease. Yes, I certainly do think it's worth a try. In fact, I've found it works like a charm and has essentially no side effects or drug-drug interactions.

Good luck!

Depression & HIV
What kind of life?!