Could this be a Thyroid issue?

Hello there,

Let me first start by saying I cant remember the last time I got 8 hours of sleep. My skin looks like scales, my extremites get cold very easily, the fat seems to have gone from my extremities to my neck and my stomach. I exercise and eat right but nothing changes.

This Friday I am having a Thyroid Stimulating Hormone test, because my doctor says I have signs of a mild thyroid problem. I am not on any meds as of yet. My CD4 count was 1654 as of Oct 2004 and viral load undetectable. I have positive for three years now. Does this also sound like a potential thyroid problem to you?

You've given great insight in the past, and I just wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks,

Dying to sleep

Hi Dying to Sleep,

Certainly a thyroid stimulation hormone (TSH) test is worthwhile, as a thyroid imbalance could account for some of your symptoms. But, I would guess there may be other things at play here as well. Without knowing much more about your case, I would only be hypothesizing. So rather than do that, I'll instead suggest you follow up with your HIV specialist for a complete evaluation and development of a treatment plan. I would anticipate many of your complaints should be quite easily managed and you can look forward to a great night's rest, soft skin and warm tootsies very soon. The fat redistribution may be a bit more difficult to treat, depending on the cause.

Good luck!

Same medication for 10 years
Depression & HIV