Procrit and you being HIV+

Hey Dr.Bob,

Where have you been....site says you are "temporarily unavailable". What the hell does that mean?

Can Procrit be taken orally? My doc said he was going to prescribe it and I thought it was a shot. The nurse said probably he would call in a prescription for the oral version? Is she nuts or what? How long does it take to kick in?

Next, how do you keep your sunny disposition being HIV positive? Prozac? High on life?

Xavier

Hi Xavier,

There was some discussion about closing this forum down, but apparently the powers at large have decided to keep it up and running for now a decision I certainly applaud!

No, Procrit cannot be taken orally. I'm not sure why the nurse told you it could, but she is definitely mistaken. Procrit is administered by self-injections with a tiny needle just under the skin. The starting dose is usually 40,000 units, once per week. It may take six to eight weeks for it to "kick in" because it takes awhile to rev up the body's red-blood-cell-making machinery. Procrit has an excellent track record for both efficacy and safety in treating HIV-associated anemia. It does not have drug-drug interactions, and side effects are essentially nonexistent. (Identical to placebo in the clinical trials!) Effectively treating anemia in the setting of HIV disease has been shown not only to improve energy levels, but also quality of life. It is even associated with improved survival!

Next, my being positive while being positive is not related to Prozac. High on life? Well, yeah, that's probably quite true. I love life and in many ways have never felt more alive! Yes, I'm HIV positive, but perhaps in my case I'll define HIV+ as "H"ealthy "I"ndividual "V"oraciously living with an optimistic attitude through HIV. Care to give it a try?

Stay well.

Penus/Vaginal 4 Play
Catch 22 AZT x D4T