Testosterone deficiency

I got my first lab work results back (after initial diagnosis of being HIV positive) and my doc showed me I had a 5.8 level of testosterone. She said the normal levels start at 6.5 (I think that's correct). Should I get on some therapy for this right away as I start my first regiment of Reyataz/Ritonvir/Truvada?

Between 25 and 45 percent of all male HIVers suffer from low testosterone. It can lead to loss of energy, appetite, weight, muscle and bone mass, sex drive and even your rosy outlook on life! Low testosterone is the most common hormonal energy-zapper in HIVers. And it can affect both men and women (sorry ladies!). The normal range for testosterone varies somewhat form lab to lab, depending on the testing technique and how the results are reported out. A normal total testosterone for guys is usually between 300 to 1,100 nanograms per deciliter. For gals, it's 50 to 100 nanograms. Measuring the "free testosterone," the amount not inactive due to being bound to proteins, is the best way to determine if you need replacement testosterone therapy. If replacement therapy is warranted, I recommend the daily topical gel (AndroGel) over the every-week-or-two injections. The shots tend to be less than pleasant and can cause wide fluctuations in testosterone levels compared to daily topical applications.

So should you start testosterone replacement therapy right away? Possibly. Talk to your HIV specialist. It might be just the thing you need to keep both you and your Mr. Happy happy and energized. (That's assuming you are a guy. If not, change that last sentence to "Ms. Happy.")

Good luck with your first regimen.

Happy Holidays.

tired and hurting
Muscle aches - HIV induced???