The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am so tired!!!
Nov 13, 2004

Yep! I am tired and fatigued! I am 31 years old-HIV+. The same protease inhibitors I took several years back had caused some fat to transfer in my breast area. I have been trying to get corective surgery for the past 4 years by going to Plastic Surgeons and General Surgeons. Today, I get yet another smack in the face from a General surgeon who tells me he will not do the surgery because he is unaware of the ramifications of doing surgery on HIV positve individuals. But why should this be any big surprise? It shocks me to see this kind of ignorance in the medical field and obvious discrimination. Why not tell me that surgery to have this corrected is not an option because I am HIV+? Also, he suggested that I should discuss this with my infectious disease specialist, DUH! He is the one that sent me to the plastic surgeons and general surgeons, now I am being sent back ID specialist. Maybe some of my fatigue would resolve if I could find a doctor with an open mind and proper training. Sorry to vent my frustration Dr. Bob can you offer any suggestions? It's mild gynecomastia I just want it fixed. What should I do? I think my docors are the source of my fatigue.

Thanks, Mike

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Mike,

The general surgeon told you he didn't know the "ramifications of doing surgery on HIV-positive individuals????" What???? Let me guess. You live in one of those square red states, don't you?

Mike, you are correct: there is no excuse for this shameful level of ignorance and discrimination. I'm sure the higher powers have a wonderful place in Hell all picked out for that general surgeon. Perhaps in the next life, he'll come back as a hemorrhoid or dung beetle.

Are you seeing an HIV specialist for your HIV disease? If not, you should be. I would suggest you talk to your HIV specialist. Advise him or her that "Surgeon Scumbag" is discriminating against HIV-positive folks and that you need a referral to a surgeon who has at least an ounce of integrity, compassion, intelligence and competence, which Surgeon Scumbag obviously does not. Have the HIV specialist or his office contact the surgeon directly for you and arrange the appointment.

I don't know where you are writing form, but if you are in the U.S., a list of certified HIV specialists can be found on the American Academy of HIV Medicine's Web site,

Good luck, Mike.

Dr. Bob

chronic fatigue

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint