Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tested but experiencing symptoms
Nov 12, 2004

Dear dr. Bob,

Firstly: my compliments, you're helping thousands of people with the largest problems in life. I am a Dutch national and there is certainly no source of information here in Holland like the one you provide. I wish you all the best, you're a true example of leading a valuable life.

Now my problem. Over 9 months ago I had unprotected vaginal and oral sex with a Thai girl. She told me not to worry and that she had been tested for everything including HIV, but this of course is no guarantee. I have been tested at 3,6,9 months and the tests were all negative. Now I know you're wondering: why test at 9 months, 3 and 6 are more than enough! I know, but the issue is this: from the sixth month on I have been developing symptoms. Firstly, and least conclusively, a dry cough, stuffed nose and continuing chills. Secondly, two lesions which look increadible much like Kaposi's. When the first one appeared, I took little notice as my test were conclusive. It looked like a bruise, did not disappear when pressed, did not hurt nor itch and disappeared after over two months. The second is in my mouth and has been taken to the doctor, who simply said he was not concerned. Thirdly, I have now developed a milky white shade on my palate, identical to pictures of Candidiasis on internet. I'll be taking it to the doctor soon.

My question is this: is it at all possible that I still have HIV when I proved not to have seroconverted up to 9 months after an unsafe contact. My doctor regards the '6 month after principle' as a 100% truth and I hope he's right. I just find all these symptoms so incredibly coincidental and am afraid of being someone who does not seroconvert at all or extremely late. Do these people exist and what would their progression of HIV look like?

I know this is long, I'm sorry. Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Dutch-Guy,

First off, thanks for your kind compliments! Next, I must remind you and all our readers that questions about possible HIV infection need to be sent to me at the Safer Sex/HIV Prevention Forum as this forum is dedicated to folks confirmed to be HIV positive and having difficulty with HIV-related fatigue and anemia. OK? Consequently, I'll answer only very briefly and refer you to the other forum if you need additional information. I'll also post this reply in the Safer sex Forum as well.

Your repeated negative HIV tests out to nine months are indeed definitive and conclusive.

You do not have KS, because you do not have HIV. (KS lesions would not spontaneously disappear over several months, by the way.)

I also strongly doubt you have candidiasis. Even if you did, it wouldn't be related to HIV, because you don't have HIV. I just can't be any more direct than that.

If you have symptoms cough, rash or whatever have your doctor evaluate these concerns and stop trying to self-diagnose nonexistent HIV-related conditions.

If you cannot stop perseverating on HIV, consider getting some counseling to help you accept the very good news of your HIV-negative status. You should be celebrating, not worrying!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Chronic Fatigue
Next
breathlessness

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.