The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nov 7, 2004

I tested negative to HIV in 2002. Sept 8, 2004 I tested positive through a home testing kitand also from a private clinic. I took the result to my doctor. He took my blood and tested me for Hepatitis A,b, & C, and also did a RPR test. All but Hep.-A came back negative. The doctor then called me and told me that my CD4 was 150, and viral load very high, and that I've had the disease for long time. He put me on medication. When my bill came, only the Hepatitis and RPR test were shown. Two weeks later, he called me to test my liver and kidney, which all came back negative again. I feel very well, no symptoms at all. My question is how did the doctor know my CD4 count and VL just from doing the stated tests? Is it possible to test negative two years ago, and now positive in two years with such CD4 counts? What should I do? He has not even told me to come in again to do other tests? What is gion on

Response from Dr. Frascino


I think you need to pose these questions to your doctor. There is no way I can determine what tests were ordered or when. Something clearly is not adding up here. If indeed you are HIV positive, you need to seek the help of an HIV specialist. That specialist can request all your old records and should be able to resolve the mystery or elucidate the mistake. To find a qualified HIV specialist in your area, try the American Academy of HIV Medicine's Web site ( They have certified HIV specialists listed by locale.

Good luck. Write back and let us know the real story. And know that we're here if you do need our assistance.

Dr. Bob

lymphatic drainage therapy?
Chronic Fatigue

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint