MRSA follow up

Hello Dr Bob,

thank you so very much for your last response to my question. I did as you suggested. I was very happy you responded so quickly. I was treated with bactrim db for 2 weeks and then stopped treatment. The boils started to drain and heal. Nostril test showed negative.

Again, 2 weeks later I got another boil on my butt - more or less same location. I went back to my regular doc who returned from vacation in the meantime. She thinks the bug is entering my body through skin breaks. I am absolutely convinced this is not so.

She recommended that I make sure I have no cracked skin by applying cream to moisturize. I told her about your recommendation and she thought my infection was not so severe and instead prescribed a 7 day prescription of the very costly zyvox. For two days I had to wait for inssurance approval.

I took that medicine for one week and the boil drained, healed and all was fine. Then a little more than one week ago I received a phone call from my dad to come home to switzerland right away because my mom is critically ill in the hospital with lung cancer and pneumonia. I had no idea of her condition as a few months before I was on visit here she seemed fine.

My brother was hospitalized himself and my sister was on assignment abroad. I was the only sibling avail to take turns with my father to stay at the hospital with my mom.

I sleept, eat and lived in the hospital for a few days and there I got two more boils again.

I just can,t take it anymore.

If they would have known at the hospital of my condition, they would have most likely forbid me entering the facilities.

I had a similar experience of unwelcomeness after being diagnosed with mrsa infection in zurich a few months ago. No hospital wants infected mrsa patients here.

Everyone working at hospitals here is totaly paranoid (maybe with good reason as I experience this infection myself) about mrsa.

Now I have left and not been back at the hospital and had to come up with excuses not to see my very ill mom.

My brother,s doc gave me a 5 day supply of bactrim db. My brother got them for me telling his doc I forgot my meds while coming here in a hurry. No one knows of my condition except my brother and I am soo worried I could infect him too. I don,t believe it is possible as I believe strongly my infection is under the skin and not above it but still the doubts and worries are in my head.

I am leaving emotionally and physically strained next week back to NY. I am at a crossroad where I just can,t take it anymore. I have a huge painful abccess near my anus and another high above and can,t go to the hospital for fear of being either rejected or being put in isolation. I don,t want my parents to find out either and my mother to worry. I hope I can keep it under control with the bactrim for another 5 days.

I decided that I do not want to see my regular hiv doc anymore regarding this infection. Dr Bob, can you recommend a infectious disease specialist who welcomes an mrsa patient?

Even a phone call to Callen Lorde a few weeks ago in NY was meet with rejection and excuses not to take me in. They clearly told me not to come to their facility but rather visit the Beth Israel satelite walk in clinic on 23rd and 8th. Luckily, I am fortunate to have decent insurance.

Ironically, even even my sick mother told me of existing hospital bugs and that she has to be careful because of the chemo therapie they performed on her. You can imagine how I felt not being able to say a thing.

Dr. Bob, you have been so kind in the past to me and I hope I did not take up too much of your time. Again, I would very much welcome your referal of a specialist preferably in privat practice in NYC.

As for this email, I also just needed to talk or write as not to go insane during this very difficult time for me. This infection has been more difficult for me to deal with then my hiv diagnosis 5 years ago. 840t-4 undetectable vl

Sincerely, NYJack

Hello NY Jack,

I am sorry to hear about your ongoing problem and your mother's bout with lung cancer. My brother was recently diagnosed with severe and unexpected lung cancer as well; consequently, I truly understand what you and your family are going through.

There are many excellent HIV specialists in the New York City area. For a private practice setting, I would suggest Howard Grossman (212) 929-2629 155 West 19th St New York, NY 10011. (The American Academy of HIV Medicine hired Dr. Grossman, as the group's new executive director in October.) He can consult with an infectious disease specialist as needed if your MRSA remains a problem. To locate other HIV specialists in your area, you can also check the American Academy of HIV Medicine's Web site, www.aahivm.org. They have a listing of certified HIV specialists by location.

Good luck, Jack, to you and your family!

Safe to drop the PI?
Concerned Family Member