devasted soul..pleaase help

Dear Doc,i just reviewed the your site thousands of time and i think you are the only person that you can help me now from committing suicide cause i do not know what to do.I am ready for a donation but i need help. My nightmares started in 17/12/2002,i wanted to try "sex" with a guy, i performed oral sex on him,and he fingered me,but no cum was involved maybe some pre-cum. several days later i got many symptoms from muscle pain to head pain to gastro problems to severe fatigue .Most of the symptoms resolved after several weeks,however i am still feeling ongoing head congestion & head pain every single moment of the day,often debilating. In addition floaters appeared in my eyes three months after the encounter but the doctor said it was normal. In addition two months ago i started to feel burning sensation in my feets especilally by night and i thought it could be PN, but an E.M.G revealed nothing

I run the following tests: Hiv1+2:after 10 days (of the relation) Hiv1+2 &p24 antigen:after 2,3 & 17 months:negatif Hiv rna: negatif(<50c/ml) cd4 count:750/mm3 ct scan ater 2 months & MRI after on year:normal. Despite these result i was wondering if it could be a different strain of hiv,cause my head symptoms persisted.What should i do? run additionnal tests? is it possible that my body is not producing antibodies? Is it all in my head? I am getting married ,and i do not think i can make it if i do not pass this.i am ready to make donation.pleeaaaaaase help Charly

Hello Devasted Soul Charly,

First off what's a devasted soul? Second, isn't "Charly" supposed to have an "e" in it? (Charley)

You've reviewed my site "thousands of times?" Hmmm, sounds like we need to get you a new hobby, Charley! During those thousands of visits, did you happen to pick up any useful information???

Let me move directly on to your questions:

1. You are wondering if you could have a different strain of HIV. No, I see absolutely no justification for that.

2. Should you run additional tests? No, certainly not for HIV.

3. Is it possible your body is not producing antibodies? No.

4. Is it all in your head? Yep. That is indeed the most likely cause of your symptoms.

5. What should you do??? Perhaps try getting a grip on reality?!?

Let's review. Your HIV risk is extremely low one-time oral sex with a guy. Your symptoms are not suggestive of HIV ARS or HIV disease. It appears you've had a very significant medical workup for these "symptoms," including and EMG, which revealed nothing (therefore, you don't have peripheral neuropathy) and an evaluation of "floaters," which turned out to be "normal." I'm assuming you've also had a very thorough evaluation of your remaining symptoms, "head pain, muscle pain," in light of your CT scan and MRI, both of which were also "normal."

So what about HIV? You've had repeatedly negative HIV-1 and HIV-2 ELISAs on four occasions out to 17 months, negative p 24 antigens on three occasions out to 17 months, negative HIV-RNA and a normal CD4 cell count. Now exactly what part of "HIV is not your problem, no way, no how" don't you understand???

Do you realize the cost of your medical workup to date is equal to the gross national product of several African nations???

I have no doubt you are a "devasted (or devastated) soul", because you are plagued by guilt, depression, anxiety, and an irrational fear of HIV infection related to your decision to "try sex with a guy!" Your nightmare is self-induced and self-perpetuated.

What should you do? Make an appointment to see a psychiatrist. Bring a copy of this question and my response to your first visit and show it to your therapist. It will greatly facilitate your therapy.

It's time to wake up and realize it really was all just a bad dream. Over 40 million people worldwide living with the virus do not have this option, but you do. Is that an alarm clock I hear ringing in the background???

Thank you for your willingness to donate! I'm confident that if you'll follow my advice, your nightmare will soon be nothing but a bad memory.

Feel better.

Addison's Disease
Husband is HIV positive/me negative