|Valtrex for recurring outbreaks with comprimised immune system
Sep 26, 2004
I know this is a little out of your area but I need hel pthat my GP isn't well qualified to answer. I need to wait until I move to another company and change health care providers before fianal confirmation of my status but I have experienced enough classical systoms that I'm convinced that I have let enough time pass and need to address head on. Having said that I have been experiencing recurrent and severe herpes outbreaks that have now moved to almost a continous stream of outbreaks that come and go often changing in appearance. I have just been prescribed Valtresx twice daily to get under control and have discussed getting futher tests done next month when my job status changes. My concern is that it clearly states not to use Valtrx if your immune system is comprimised and or if you have advanced HIV. Knowing that I'm a month away from confirming my health status what are your thoughts with me continuing to use Valtrex and what are the risks?
Thanks for all you do on this forum as it is much appreciated by all who read and participate.
Response from Dr. Frascino
My thoughts are fairly straightforward:
1. If you have recurrent herpes simplex and require suppressive therapy, Valtrex is a good option for you.
2. If you have placed yourself at risk for HIV, you should be tested.
3. HIV symptoms cannot and should not be used to diagnose (particularly self-diagnose) HIV disease.
4. Valtrex should not be used if you have advanced HIV disease. I have no way of knowing if you have HIV disease, advanced HIV disease, or just a variety of "classical systoms" that have you convinced you are HIV positive.
The next step is up to you. If you are concerned about changing healthcare insurance providers, I would suggest an anonymous testing site.
Is 1800 mg of Sustiva too much?
- Would Genital Herpes Hurt On The Vagina
- What Is The Difference Between Razor Burn And Herpes On The Vagina?
- What Color Is The Fluid Inside Herpes Blisters?
- What Causes Hpv Other Than Sex?
- What Can Can Cause A False Positive Syphilis Test?
- Is Using A Condom A Guaranteed Way To Prevent Genital Herpes?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.