Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv related symptoms?
Aug 27, 2004

Dr. Frascino:

Let me start off by thanking you for your outstanding work. Many people are capable of giving advice but not many people can pull it off in such a witty, professional, and entertaining way.

My question does not pertain to fatigue but I am unable to find any information related to my particular condition. I am 29 years old, in good shape, and have always been athletic. I am treatment naive and I think my exposure happened about two years ago. Lately, I have noticed that I have a burning pain in the back of my knees. I have also noticed that the veins around my knees are more noticeable, they almost look like bruises with small spidery looking veins. I have extremely flat feet, I played soccer, ran, weight lifted and lead a very athletic lifestyle without seeking treatment for my feet. Can this be HIV related or can this the result of improper weight alignment resulting from my flat feet.

I have also noticed small spider looking veins on several other parts of my body that have developed in the same time frame. These are noticeable in my biceps and along the inner part of the v- section of my back (I think my traps) where the muscle connects to my ribs. I use to work out intensely and I had outstanding muscle tone. I have lost about ten pounds of mass due to stress and an absence of almost four years from the gym. Im still in good shape 6ft 3 205lbs and I still have good muscle tone. Could these veins in my arms and back also be HIV related or the result the loss of muscle mass. I know this question may not be as serious as some of your others but I have been worried about it lately and just thought I would give it a shot.

Sincerely

SWIFT VOTE VETERAN FOR KERRY

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Swift Vote Veteran for Kerry,

Thanks for your thanks!

Flat feet are generally a genetic problem and not really related to HIV or exercise. "Spidery looking veins" are likewise not related to HIV disease. If you are bothered by their cosmetic appearance, a dermatologist can "zap" them for you. "Burning pain in the back of your knees" is not a symptom related to HIV either. I can't diagnose the cause over the Internet, but your physician should be able to let you know if there is another type of problem brewing there or not.

Now I have a couple questions for you:

1.Why are you under so much stress?

2.Why have you been absent from the gym for four years? (Everyone huddled around the Smith Rack has been wondering where you've been.)

3.How did you manage to see those spidery looking things "along the inner part of the v-section of your back where the muscle connects to your ribs???" You must be damn good with a hand mirror!

Take care, "Swift Vote." I'll expect to see you back at the gym in the morning. You can spot me while I check out your spider thingies.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
are docs hormone replacement phobic??
Next
HIV Spa

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.