Procrit Thank You

Hi Dr. Bob,

I am an hiv + female, and have recently started Procrit thanks to your help. I had been feeling HORRIBLE, and had all the symptoms of anemia. I took a few of your posts to my Dr. to discuss my concerns, and she later started me on Procrit.

Fingers crossed, but it has been 4 weeks and I feel better. I just had blood work done, so I don't have my numbers yet. Before I started on Procrit I was at 10.2...so I am hoping it is on its way up!

Thanks again!! Big hugs and kisses to you! xxxooo

A Thankful Friend.

Hello Friend,

Excellent news that you are starting to feel better! You can expect additional improvement over the next four weeks as it generally takes six-eight weeks for Procrit to fully rev up the red blood cell production factories in our body.

Hopefully, your doctor is monitoring your blood work fairly frequently during this period to optimize your Procrit dose. One thing you might need to remind him about is to keep an eye on your iron stores. Iron is a key component of new red blood cells (RBCs), and since Procrit will be increasing the production of additional new RBCs, you may need supplemental iron to get the best results from your Procrit treatment. Just remind your physician that during Procrit therapy, absolute or functional iron deficiency may develop, most commonly due to inability to mobilize iron stores rapidly to support increased RBC production. Functional iron deficiency can occur with normal ferritin levels and low transferrin saturation. Don't worry about the fancy names of all these iron-related blood tests; your doctor will know what they mean. Tell him we suggest transferrin saturation should be at least 20% and ferritin, at least 100 ng/ml.

You should be able to watch your 10.2 hemoglobin level continue to rise and stabilize in the normal range in the coming months while simultaneously feeling your anemia-related symptoms melt away!

Write me back if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thanks for taking the time to write in.

I return the hugs and kisses, of course with an added passionate Italian flare!

Stay well.

NON FDA APPROVED HOME TESTS
fool me once ..... I'm a fool if .... ya can't fool me twice!